Sunday, March 1, 2009

Weekend Wrap-Up

It was a good sewing weekend; I got most of Saturday and a couple of hours today working in the sewing studio, i.e. the dining room/living room. It was particularly fun using some of the haul from the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show. First up, I was able to complete two more blocks on the DWRQ:


What was kind of fun was that I got to meet John Flynn at the Quilt Show and I told him about the black/white/red version I was doing and that it was my first. He was very encouraging and told me to keep at it and it would all come together. I'm hoping he is right. One of the things I bought at the Quilt Show was this rotating cutting mat which has made cutting the fabrics with John's templates much easier. I had resisted buying the rotating mat at my LQS, but it was so much on sale at the Quilt Show, I couldn't resist:

One thing I finally "got" about the DWRQ blocks is that there are two blocks, a block "A" and a block "B". The difference is whether you put the black corner block on top as you begin, or whether you use the red. It has taken me a few tries to get this, but I now have 8 blocks, 5 are "A"s and 3 are "B". Next weekend I'll make two more "B"s and I'll be all caught up.

The other thing I bought at the Quilt Show was this great cotton canvas whose design was inspired by antique Japanese fabrics. Vicki and Anne bought the entire fat quarter collection, but I bought a few yards of this fabric only:

And I made a skirt, from my TNT (tried-and-true) skirt pattern, McCall's 3341, view D:

I decided to made the seam allowance 1/2 inch instead of 5/8 inch to see if it would fit better, but the 1/2 inch seam allowances have made it a bit big (thank God!), but this isn't a problem - it just sits lower down on the hips, and the extra looseness will probably be appreciated come about July when it is 95 degrees. Which is hard to imagine now since it is snowing and the wind is blowing at about 25 mph.
And finally, I got the binding done for Tammy's Asian Strip Gift Quilt - hope to get that sewn on this week!
I'm hoping for lots of snow tonight so maybe work will have a delayed opening! A snow day/sewing day would be great:
And here is the Parting Shot: the beginning of the snow. There is about 3 inches out there now!

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

The skirt turned out great!

Summerset said...

Cute skirt! Enjoy the snow, it is still snowing here and I must go out and snow blow so my husband can get into the driveway.

Anonymous said...

How much snow did you get? We have almost 14 inches and it's started to snow again. What fun! Naturally I'm home. I picked up work on my way home from Boston last evening (went to a Handel and Haydn concert with Ann Collins - it was fabulous) and have I started a thing? Of course not! This is why I can't be trusted to work at home......by the way, because of the snow yesterday and then the concert, I could not get to the knitting store to figure out the collar with the nice lady there. However, I did manage to decide that I did NOT like how it looked - it would NOT lie down nicely like a properly brought up collar would, so I pulled it all out. Yes, both sides. Sorry. I'm starting again tonight, and I'll get to the knit store this week - probably Wednesday. I'm sorry. But it has to be perfect for you and the rest of the sweater is looking pretty spiffy if I do say so myself....you mentioned sewing (and the blocks look great and I love the skirt - a little black tee with it? - ) but what about the rest of your weekend???

Eileen