Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Liverpool Dress

It's not enough that I have made two tunics from this pattern, I decided to make the short dress as well! Instead of the three-quarter sleeves, I made the elbow length:
As I did with the last version, I shortened the back ties by five inches:
I also sewed the side seams at three-eights of an inch, rather than the half inch required by the instructions. This gave me an extra half inch of room all around, and while I didn't need that half inch in the waist or hips, it has made the bust area fit perfectly.
The funnest part of the dress was deciding how to lay it out. I used a batik quilt backing I got at the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show for $ 37, which had a border along each edge with solid black in the middle. I decided to lay out my pattern so that the top/bust area was the black, and the dress would get progressivly lighter as it went towards the hem. I used mostly black for the front placket, and I used the very edge of the border as the sleeve cuffs. This is what I had left after cutting out:

Still enough left over for a skirt! (But that is another day - maybe even another year!) I wore this dress Good Friday, and it doesn't wrinkle and it is extra cool. Have I mentioned I love this pattern? I still want to make one more version: the long dress version with no sleeves for summer. But I have decided it is time to take a break from this pattern and do something else. But I highly recommend it to others!

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Liverpool Tunic - Take Two

I finally got photos of my second Liverpool Tunic; my photographer, Aimee graciously took these. I made this one from the Henry Alexander fabric I liked so much:
On this version, I shortened the back ties by five inches, and I like them much better:
I also dispensed with the covered buttons, and just used regular buttons this time. I was able to get the collar oriented correctly so the top collar and outer stand were the ones that were interfaced. And I finally figured out the proper way to do the cuffs which were such a mystery to me last time. Now the sleeves are at the proper length, so ignore everything I said in my first review of this pattern. I omitted the buttons and button loops on the cuffs; I don't think it needs it and they are just a PITA. The one thing I did differently from the directions was to topstich the top of the cuff. Here is a photo in which you can see that I topstiched the bottom of the cuff (nearest to the wrist) as per the instructions, but I just went ahead and topstiched the top of the cuff as well, so as to save ironing time:

I really love this pattern, I have gone ahead and made the short dress version, which I'll post about soon.
Parting Shot: Happy Easter!!! Beautiful tulips sent to me from Eileen for Easter. They made my day!