Sunday, August 22, 2010

Simplicity 2360


I finished my "real" rendition of Simplicity 2360, which is a pullover dress with an elastic waist. My muslin is in this post. Here's the pattern:A couple of things I did differently on this version: first, I made this one with short sleeves, rather than the sleeveless version, which I like, but it makes the bodice less fitted; I actually like the fit of the bodice better on the sleeveless one. Second, I narrowed the skirt pattern so that the skirt finished 2 inches less wide at the hem. Third, I made the elastic shorter, thus tightening up the waist, which was very much needed. Finally, I made no sash. Frankly, I ran out of fabric because I incorrectly sewed the bodice pieces together, and of course, I had already surged the seams. So instead of ripping out, I just cut new pieces. I think the dress needs a belt or sash, so I'll look for a suitable white fabric in my stash, or order more of this Kaffe Fassett rayon online. Right now, I'm wearing it without one:

Here's the back:

I can explain the boots! I wore this to work on Wednesday, and it was a rare rainy day - I wore boots and jean jacket with the dress, and the boots were so comfortable, I just never changed out of them into my "work" shoes.
Overall, the dress is extremely comfortable and easy to make. I was thinking of doing a fall version with three-quarter sleeves out of a wool challis, but I think it is time to put this pattern away for awhile. I like it, but enough is enough and it is time to move on!
Parting Shot: The Crab Dress on its way to the Outer Banks. We stopped in Sussex County at a Plantation home where The Carpenter had recently restored a 200 year orangery - which is basically a greenhouse for citrus trees. He did a great job, but yes, I realize I'm partial!

4 comments:

gwensews said...

Cute dress! Should the carpenter build you the perfect sewing studio?

Shellie said...

love the dress -- the fabric is FANTASTIC! great job!

:)S

ps so glad I found your blog!

Kitty Couture said...

What an adorable dress. I actually love it with the boots - gives it a bit of an edge!

The restored orangery is quite impressive, and beautiful. Kudos to the Carpenter (and I chuckled at gwen's comment ;) )

Audrey said...

That is such a a pretty feminine dress! I'll bet it looked really cute with the denim jacket and the boots. The jacket would have balanced out the dark heaviness of the boots; both accenting the pretty dress in between. Can you tell why I had to give up my career writing fashion promotional copy?