I've never made a vest before, but I thought it would be a good idea because my workplace has declared Fridays as jeans days, so 20% of my workwear is now jeans. Making a vest would allow me to wear this yummy fabric on Fridays and weekends. Yay! Not being a western type of person, and probably under the influence of too many Downton Abbey episodes, I was thinking Victorian and Folkwear Patterns had one:
I was so wrong. I cut the fronts in a single layer so that I could fit the pattern pieces on the scraps. In doing so, I found I had failed to flip my pattern piece, so in essence I had cut two right side pieces, but no left. This wasn't fatal since the right and wrong sides of this wool/cashmere fabric aren't very different, so I just flipped one piece over and declared it fine.
It was a portent of things to come. I kept making rookie mistakes, like pressing darts the wrong way. I used habotai silk for the lining, which I knew would be evil, and it was. My attempt to find buttons was a fruitless search, so I ended up trying to cover buttons in the wool/cashmere fabric in two sizes, but neither could handle the thickness of the fabric.
And when it was done, I found the waist to be a little small, even though it seemed to fit when I basted everything together prior to the final sewing. I don't know what happened - maybe I was confused as to where the center front was located.
But the biggest problem was my failure to recognize that the vest only came to one's waist. Victorian women wore Victorian vests with Victorian high-waisted skirts. Which is pretty obvious, right? But I failed to consider how this would look with jeans, which aren't waist high these days, unless you are wearing the dreaded "mom-jeans" from the 1990s. My jeans aren't particularly low-rise, but there is a good three inches from where this vest ends and my jeans begin - not a good look. I searched high and low and found exactly one garment I owned that was high-waisted enough to wear with this vest - a grey Cabi knit maxi skirt.
My enthusiasm to finish this vest that can only be worn with one garment in my wardrobe waned considerably. Especially after three weekends of work. So I basically called it a day and gave up on buttons, closing the vest with my cameo pin I got at the Vatican on our Italy trip:
I do want to make it plain that any problems I had with this pattern is not the fault of Folkwear Patterns - it was all due to user error and the fact that my sewing brain took an enormous holiday during the making thereof.
The other project that has been going on is the transformation of my sewing room! Until about a month ago, it looked like this:
My pressing area is pretty much the same, but the bookcase provides so much more space to store my pressing items:
Happy sewing, y'all!