Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New Look Skirt 0119

 When I was in Cotton Creek, Alabama this Christmas, Mother and I went through her old linens to see if there was anything I was interested in.  I said yes to this old striped tablecloth that screamed 1970s to me:

Mother has confirmed that she got this in the early 80s.  I don't remember it, so it has been a long, long time since she used it.  It was in pretty good shape, though, and on Saturday I got the inspiration to make a 1970's skirt - which had to be A-line (of course!).  I got New Look 0119, and selected version D, which is the black and white skirt in the upper right hand corner:
The pattern was perfect for my vision - here it is:
The skirt is above the knee, A-line, with no waistband, just a facing.  From the time I opened the pattern until I finished the hem was about three hours.  It's been so long since I made a quick project like this, I had forgotten how fun it is to start and finish a project in one day!



While cutting out, I thought I was very careful to arrange the pattern pieces around any stains or holes, but I overlooked a small stain.  I solved this mistake and made it into a design feature by adding a very 1970's patch pocket:
 I used a patch pattern piece from an apron pattern I made several years ago.  I cut the outer garment fabric on the bias, just for visual interest, and made the inside of pocket with leftover Liberty lawn I literally had lying on the sewing room floor. Then I just edgestitched around it.  I love it, and it reminds me of when I was a little girl and I insisted that all my dresses have pockets on them.  My grandmother obliged, of course!  I've thought about what I found so fascinating about pockets when I young, and I think it was just the possibility that pockets represent: is there anything in the pocket and what could it be????

I used some quilting fabric for the facings as this tablecloth was quite thick.  

I used the quilting fabric because the tablecloth was quite substantial fabric - I didn't want multiple layers of it.  It isn't denim or twill, it is more like canvas that has been washed hundreds of times.  Very comfortable.

I made size 12, but I used 1/2 inch seams to make sure it was big enough.  The pattern had the finished hip measurements on it, but not the waist.  In the end, I should have used 5/8 inch seams (or larger) because the skirt was plenty big.  But I really enjoyed wearing it and it was a quick make.  A winner!

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh yes, this is really cute!

Angela said...

I love this skirt it looks so cute on you, and the pocket is such a pretty added detail too